In deciding to give the paleo diet an honest go, I’ve encountered more struggles than benefits so far. Now before you go and tell me that the science behind the “cave man diet” is bogus: I know! But there are still benefits to avoiding dairy and grains that can’t be underestimated. It’s all about trying it all until you find what works for you…and then trying even more just to see!
So my biggest struggle right off the bat has been breakfast. I lived off oatmeal or Ezikiel bread and peanut butter….now all of those have been taken off the table. In order to get a quick and easy protein/carb combo, I came up with these little sausage-like patties that are completely paleo and will make your kitchen smell amazing!
Chicken Apple Breakfast Patties
1 lb ground chicken
1 apple peeled and diced (I used a Fuji apple)
1 T fresh thyme
3 T fresh parsley
1 T fresh oregano
2 t garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Using about 3 T of coconut oil in a skillet, cook down the apples with the thyme, parsley and oregano until apples are soft. This will take about 7 minutes. More if you use less coconut oil.
- Once cooked and cooled, combine apple mixture with ground chicken, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- form into 12 even patties spread out on a foil-lined baking tray
- bake for 20 minutes.
- Store either by refrigerating, freezing, or both!